Thursday, November 20, 2008

Decisivity (Is that a word)?

College is a cruel, ironic way of proving to a person they really don't know what's going on in the world, much less in their lives. You may think you want to major in this or that, something scientific or something in the fine arts; or perhaps something in humanities, or social sciences or business or any one of various majors offered by most major institutions around the country. But how does one decide what is right for them? Dollars are an influence (usually when there are more of them, but some people might prefer a simpler existence... maybe), but most people I know have their majors because of their interest in the subject area. They like psychology, linguistics, engineering, architecture, and all of the other sundry degree paths they have chosen.

But how do you know?

I thought I liked architecture. I was fascinated by skyscrapers. I have great spatial awareness and visualization. But, I hate architecture. This decision took me a year of college to realize, and I wouldn't have come to that conclusion had it not been for some very insightful people helping me see the truth for myself. Since then, I have thought about everything under the sun (I never thought of being an astronaut, so over the sun or around the sun occupations were out of the question). I thought I might be a good lawyer, I considered teaching history, and I had an interest in business - specifically real estate. However, how do I separate the truth from my own preconceived notions; how do I tell what a lawyer/professor/businessman actually does and is, as compared to my innate ideas of what they "should be."

You can't. That much I have figured out.

There is no way to tell for sure what one will like as a profession until you are in it. We cannot sample everything adequately to make an informed decision. Ironically, the decision we do make - even when it relies on quite a bit of hope and luck - is immensely mentally reassuring. Having a major, a future and a plan - no matter how legitimate - grants so much more security than not having one that I really do feel bad for those undecided chaps, they might be balding faster than I am if they really spend over a year living in that state of constant confusion.

No comments: