Thursday, November 13, 2008

Work

"Doing hard work!" The chorus rang out several times and struck a chord with me despite the medium presenting it. Don't get me wrong, I don't think a high school play is in any way a "lesser" medium for imparting universal truths than other forms of theater or art, but I would not give myself the credit of having been keen enough to pick up on such a personal epiphany during a three hour blitz of song, dance and poofy hair in a theatrical reinterpretation of the 80s hit movie Fame; put on by my sister's high school. Yet here I am, reflecting on that Sunday afternoon where the sight of leg warmers and giant-necked sweatshirts somehow reminded me of the odd paradox of work: the amount of work we have to do and the amount of work we get done relate not to each other, but to our perception of each.

I spent an entire day composing an essay for my German class, something that should have taken two hours, max. However, when I get to a class early and read three pages of a thirty page story that is due tomorrow and convince myself I have gotten a good start; I usually cruise through the rest of the tale, no problem. Making mountains out of molehills is nothing new, but the idea we can make molehills out of mountains; there's an idea I can take to the travelling-self-empowerment-seminar bank.

Now if I could only convince myself that three lines of an english essay is a "sizable starting portion" and go finish it up in time to do something infinitely less constructive and entirely more fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. Something to add to your musings: I believe there's one of the informal laws that states that work expands to fill the time allotted. The corollary, of course, is that work decreases to fill the time allotted if the time allotted is less than sufficient since you're working faster under pressure. Therefore, give yourself less time to do things and watch as the work goes faster...I have some stats, graphs, and charts to prove this around here somewhere...

Umm, maybe it's just a rationalization for procrastination. Never mind.