Friday, January 25, 2008

Sometimes the hardest thing to do when writing a post is to think of something to write about...

Recently I was having a conversation with a friend of mine with whom I am in school. Seeing as we are studying to become architects, she made the point that I should be paying more attention to my clothing, in an attempt to further my use of design to include what I wear (designing my appearance). Now, I am not very trendy or creative in the fashion world and I am quite utilitarian with clothing -- I find it more important to be warm or cool than to look good -- but I am conscious of making sure things fit and I do wear things I like. However, her suggestion really grabbed at me.

Now, I do truly understand the importance of the phrase "dress for success," there are many aspects of business and professional life that require one to look prepared and fitting for the part. However, when it comes to what I wear day-to-day, I realized that I do express myself through my wardrobe, albeit somewhat indirectly. I may not be picky or find fashion terribly important, but that is my stance. No matter what style I ended up with, if I were to try and develop one I wouldn't be doing it for myself, I would be doing it to please others, and that would defeat the very purpose of being "more expressive."

Society seems to have a problem with the difference between being unique and being different for the sake of being different.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not picking a style for yourself though is picking a stand though. ;)